Monday, August 25, 2008

Brag about your weak spot

"If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness . . . But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong." -2 Corinthians 11:30, 12:9-10

Perspective is so crucial when we face the hard issues of life. At times it seems like as Christ-followers, we have even more difficulties, which feels unfair in ways. We protest, "I asked for a Savior, not more trials! Why me? Why now? Why this?" But some of us go through pain just so God can show Himself faithful and good to the world. Paul was willing to accept his thorn, his weakness, and his pain for the Lord's glory. What's more, not only did he accept them, he learned to embrace and boast in these trials because he'd gained the perspective to see the result after the pain: God's glory and supernatural strength from His Spirit.

When was the last time I delighted in an insult or a persecution? Since when have I boasted in my hardships? How often do I see trouble or conflict as opportunities for God to flex His Muscles and show how strong He really is for me and through me?

If others see our life as nothing but a bed of roses with success and prosperity at every turn, we might get the credit God deserves. This is especially true in our ruggedly individualistic culture of materialism and self-serving motives. However, if we face the normal trials of life on planet earth and allow God to bring us through to the other side of Strong, will that not bring Him more praise, thanks, honor, and glory? Won't more people see their need for Him if they can observe the way He strengthens His children in the midst of their greatest obstacles and pain?

So the next time you face that sickness or conflict or opposition, put on a smile, pick up your step, lift up your chin, and watch how the Lord can glorify Himself through you by being your Strength. He'll bring you justice; He'll give you healing; He'll grant you exactly what you need to accomplish victory and bring praise to Himself in the process. We can all delight in our weaknesses because we get to be His demonstration of power as He does through us what we could never do on our own.

No comments: