Thursday, May 10, 2012

why I'm thankful for my mom . . .

 . . . because she did a good job.  Yours truly is exhibit A.

Okay, maybe that sounds a little prideful, but I say it that way because that's what she'd want me to say.  She'd want me to put aside my perfectionism, striving, self-doubt and maybe even sometimes shame, and say I like Me.  And what I want more than most things is to make her proud of me by being confident in the daughter she raised.

No - it's not always easy, but just as my insecurity spews the message that I think God did a shoddy job making me, I blush to ponder how my fear of inadequacy might spew that I question what she did too.  And, I just really don't want to say that.  Not at all.

Because my mom is super great.  She's patient and generous, talented and bold, loving and compassionate.  So many things our Savior is.  She's been Jesus's hands and feet to me.  She has loved me sacrificially, and affirmed me for who I am and not just for what I do (yeah - that is my love language, in case you didn't know).  She puts up with the fact that I never send her any pictures of her grandkids, except if it's by text.  She forgives me when her Mother's Day card arrives a few days too late, and her birthday card, and her Christmas present . . . I really hate shipping, and the post office in general.  Sorry, Mom.

I'm thankful for my mom because God knew I'd need her in order to become me - and that no one else would do.


She's a great artist too, isn't she?  You can check out more of her art here .

And here's another fun link - from another mom (a pig-farmer's wife/writer who home-schools half-a-dozen kids!)

One Thousand Moms Project for Haiti 

I hope you'll join me in being thankful for your mom too.

2 comments:

April Walker said...

I hate post offices, too! Saying hello from the 1000 Moms project.

Anonymous said...

Your mom is amazing and has the sweetest smile that she passed onto you.

Love u both, love Jama Seaberry.